Watch the video on 'what science can do'
One of the Board’s basic responsibilities is to set our strategy and monitor progress towards meeting our objectives, so that we bring our science to patients, create value for society, and reward you, our shareholders.
2017 represented a defining year for AstraZeneca. 2018 will be equally important as we seek to deliver the full potential of our medicines and ensure we deliver our science to patients around the world.
In 2017, our financial performance reflected the launch of several new medicines, the strong performance of our Growth Platforms and the continued impact from patent expiries; most notably for Crestor and Seroquel XR in the US.
Net cash flow from operating activities
Reported operating profit
Core operating profit
By therapeutic area
of employees trained in new Code of Ethics
Maintained listing in the Dow Jones Sustainability World and Europe Indices. Our score of 84% was within two percentage points of sector’s best score
Dividend per Ordinary Share
1st interim dividend
Payment date: 11 September 2017
2nd interim dividend
Payment date: 19 March 2018
Achieve Scientific Leadership
365体育世界杯We are focusing our science on three therapy areas and accelerating our pipeline. We are also transforming our way of working.
Return to Growth
We are focusing on our Growth Platforms and transforming the business through specialty care, devices and biologic medicines. Targeted business development reinforces our efforts.
Be a Great Place to Work
We are evolving our culture and simplifying our business. We want to attract and retain the best talent. We also want to do business sustainably.
Therapy Area Highlights
We have transformed our drugs portfolio by focusing on three therapy areas: Oncology, Cardiovascular & Metabolic Diseases (CVMD) and Respiratory, while being selectively active in Other Disease Areas.
365体育世界杯Product Sales (2016: $3,383m, 2015: $2,825m)
- Tagrisso sales up 126% (126% at CER) and approved in more than 60 markets
- Iressa sales of $528 million, up 3% (3% at CER); Lynparza sales of $297 million, up 36% (35% at CER)
- Imfinzi launched in the US in May and sales of $19 million; Calquence launched in the US in October and sales of $3 million
Cardiovascular & Metabolic Diseases
Product Sales (2016: $8,116m, 2015: $9,489m)
- Brilinta sales of $1,079 million, up 29% (29% at CER) and Forxiga sales of $1,074 million, up 29% (28% at CER)
- Sales of Onglyza were down by 15% (16% at CER) to $611 million
- Legacy sales: Crestor down 30% (30% at CER) to $2,365 million
Product Sales (2016: $4,753m, 2015: $4,987m)
- Symbicort sales of $2,803 million, down 6% (6% at CER)
- Sales of Pulmicort up 11% (12% at CER) at $1,176 million
- Fasenra approved in the US in November
Other Disease Areas
Product Sales (2016: $5,067m, 2015: $6,340m)
- Nexium sales down 4% (3% at CER) to $1,952 million
- Sales of Synagis up 1% (1% at CER) to $687 million
- Seroquel XR sales of $332 million, down 55% (55% at CER)
- FluMist/Fluenz sales of $78 million, down 25% (28% at CER)